Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Transfiguration

The Transfiguration has always struck me as being a little...well, inexplicable, I suppose.  It's easy to imagine how overwhelming it would have been for the apostles at Christ's side.  I mean, intellectually they believe that He's the Messiah, but it's a whole different thing to see the power of God suddenly unveiled before you.  And even that was most likely but a taste of His true glory.  The seemingly mundane Jesus revealed His splendor before their eyes.  I think there are definite Eucharistic overtones here (glory revealed through the veil of flesh), but I also think that it also prefigures the ultimate end of Lent (and, really, of all human life) -- to see God as He is, not merely as we with our limited capacity believe Him to be.

Anyhow, that's all for tonight.  Back tomorrow.  Hope everyone is doing well.  Till next time, peace and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment