Friday, March 11, 2011

Lenten Reflections, Part III - Counting Blessings

Every so often before I come to post on here, I read the blog of a friend who's currently serving overseas.  Her tales do two things.  First, they make me feel like a totally inadequate human being.  I'm stressing / griping about my shelf exam or my work schedule?  The longest I've ever had to work at a stretch is 30 hours, and I wasn't doing that under fire.  Second, they remind me how blessed I am and how many people would dearly love to have the opportunities I've had.  And this is the Lenten connection for tonight -- everything good we have is a blessing, a gift, and very much not our own doing.  We are surrounded by grace, whether we recognize it or not (and honestly, I often don't -- see the "griping about meaningless stuff" above).  The ultimate manifestation of this grace, of the blessings we receive, can be seen in the Cross.  No greater gift, no greater love, no greater grace, no greater blessing -- the gift of the Son Himself, sacrificed for our sake.  So let's take some time during these 40 days to reflect on the Cross and its meaning in our lives as a way of counting our blessings.

Anyhow, I'm back in Pittsburgh for the weekend.  Gotta say, the last two drives between Altoona and Pittsburgh have been astoundingly un-fun...March is a bad time to be making this trip.  Oh well, eight work-days left till the end of the rotation and a permanent return to Pittsburgh.  No especially interesting stories from today, although seeing the babies in the nursery is always amazing.  Anyhow, that's all for tonight.  I'm going to go count another one of my blessings -- the ability to sleep in my own bed tonight!  Till next time, peace and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment