Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Sacrifice vs. suffering, part II

Ok, so is sacrifice more than merely sought-after suffering?  I mean, it kind of seems that way, right?  But if suffering is intrinsically an evil (forgive the atrocious philosophical formulation there; I simply can't come up with a better way to phrase it at this hour), then seeking after it for its own sake would be wrong -- as it would be to mutilate oneself.  But then sacrifice implies purpose, doesn't it?  It does not pursue suffering in itself but rather pursues the discipline and the nearness to God.  Ugh...I'm not explaining this well, and my half-asleep brain isn't helping matters.  Rather than continue to push forward and butcher my arguments and logic, I'll think about it on my drive back to Pittsburgh tomorrow and see what I come up with.

Till next time, peace and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment