Sunday, March 27, 2011

In good conscience

I have to admit that my conscience is bothering me a bit after yesterday's OSCEs.  You see, after going through a mockup of a well visit for an adolescent patient, I was told by the observing physician that I should have included counseling about contraception during the "appointment."  I stuttered briefly before explaining that I couldn't really do that in good conscience because of my faith.  "Well, all you really need to be willing to do is refer her to someone..."  I just nodded.  But as I continue to think about it, an old question rears its head: if I refer her to someone else whom I know will provide counseling I believe to be morally wrong, how different is that from simply providing the counseling myself?  I mean, it feels in a lot of ways like it's merely semantics, the same as Pilate washing his hands of the Crucifixion -- something to make me feel better rather than something altering the fundamental moral quality of the choice.  I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking it, but this scenario always leaves me feeling guilty and uncomfortable.  Of course, the flip side is that I'm legally required to provide this referral, and I could probably be barred from practice if I don't offer said referral.  Makes for a bit of a quandary, no?  Maybe peds critical care or neonatology is the way to go after all -- these types of moral questions probably don't pop up quite so often in those populations.  Anyway, if people have thoughts on the subject, I'd really appreciate if you'd be willing to share.

That's all for tonight...Mass tomorrow, then I should probably get some work done.  Till next time, peace and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment