Sunday, March 13, 2011

Lenten Reflections, Part IV - Getting Back Up Again

It's so easy to stumble and fall...no matter where we are, we're never really very far from temptation, and far better people than I have taken a few spills in this journey we call life.  The fact is that it's easy to sin and difficult to repent.  It's hard for me to admit my failings to myself (let alone someone else), and all too often I ignore things that need to be addressed.  And then there's the opposite end of the spectrum, of which I'm also guilty -- being unwilling to forgive myself for the wrongs I've done.  I know it's not just me, either.  One friend of mine, a far holier individual than I could ever dream of being, constantly struggles with feelings of guilt for "not doing enough" despite the fact that she lives her faith as fully and completely as I've ever witnessed someone do.  It's hard to forgive, and sometimes it's particularly hard to forgive ourselves.  But if we ever hope to rise to our feet after falling on our faces, it's a necessary step.  And, as in all things, we don't have to do it alone.  Let us pray that God will help us to lift the crosses we lay upon ourselves and to forgive ourselves for our faults and failings (full disclosure: stolen from a Danielle Rose song; I know pretty much the entire song but can't remember the title.  Because that's apparently how my mind works).

That's all for tonight.  Hope everyone's doing well...till next time, peace and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment