Wednesday, September 15, 2010

SNAFU

Today was kind of a short day, mostly spent in the OR with Dr. Jaja.  Saw a couple of patients with fibroids getting different kinds of myomectomies and one patient undergoing endometrial ablation for heavy bleeding.  I had some reservations about the ablation because of its apparent effects on fertility, but this patient was already infertile and was actually having the procedure for fairly legitimate reasons (including failure of more conservative therapy).  Because there were residents present and fairly little space available, I didn't scrub in; I just watched either on the screens or from whatever angle I had available.  Cases for the day finished about 2:30 or so; I talked with Dr. Jaja for a bit and then headed home.  All in all, my week with him was a good experience that I would recommend, especially in the absence of true pro-life alternatives.

Then came the snafu.  Ob-Gyn here doesn't require night or weekend shifts on the theory that then we have no excuse not to study.  I worked last Saturday because of the program with Dr. Jaja, so my schedule called for me to have tomorrow off.  In a classic case of a genuine favor backfiring, one of my classmates (currently on Gyn-onc) emailed me with instructions from the senior resident regarding who to contact for the start of my gynecologic oncology subrotation.  He cc'ed the email to the intern and AI who are in charge of where and when the students are supposed to meet the team.  Normally, this would be great because it's tough to get all of that information from outside the team; unfortunately, neither he nor the residents were aware that I was supposed to have tomorrow off.  Thus, instead of getting some sleep and meeting with my SP advisor, I will be at Magee at 4:45 tomorrow morning.  Oh well...there's no crying in medicine, right?  Although there might be if I don't get to bed stat; I'm pretty useless when I'm sleepless.  Anyway, back tomorrow with updates from the first day of Gyn-onc.  Till then, peace and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment