Monday, September 20, 2010

Not much to say

Not much happened today...got in at 5, rounded with the team, spent about 3 hours in the OR (all very short, straightforward cases), and then spent most of the rest of the day reading.  Even got to go outside for some of that reading.  Of course, this is sort of balanced by the fact that I'm supposed to be in by 4:30 tomorrow, which means I need to be up by 3:30.  Yikes.  Otherwise, not a lot to say. 

The rotation is drawing to an end, and I can't really find it in me to be sad about that.  Despite the pleasantly surprising lack of intolerance (with the one previously described exception), the culture at Magee is manifestly a toxic one.  Indeed, the lack of open confrontation is in some ways deceiving; things like abortion and contraception are here so ingrained that I'm afraid it would be possible, almost without realizing it, to begin to accept these things over time.  It is not the overt challenge of the abortionist that worries me most; it is the passive immersion that presents the greatest threat to one's beliefs regarding the value of life.  When the rotation finally ends on Friday, I'll give a few tips in this space on how I think that insidious trap can best be avoided.

Anyway, that's all for now.  If you haven't yet, please take a look at yesterday's post on randomized controlled trials and vote in the poll -- I'd really be interested to hear what people think.  Hope you're doing well, everyone!  Peace and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment