Sunday, August 30, 2009

Perspective

It's awfully easy to stress out about life. Sometimes it seems like there's an endless parade of obstacles and problems, each attempting to make life as infernally difficult as possible. There are classes to study for, abstracts to write, posters to assemble, FAST gatherings to plan, clinical sessions to attend...and of course, the pink elephant that no medical student wants to talk about -- post-graduation debt. There are millions of things to do and not nearly enough time to do them all. And so we (and by "we" I mean "I") worry about all of these things that seem so important.

And then I see something like this. I found a link to it in a blog written by another medical student, and it puts into shockingly clear perspective just how monumentally unimportant most of my worries are. Perhaps more significantly, it reminds me of just how little I've done, just how little I've sacrificed, to make the world a little better for the rest of God's children. It reminds me of why I've chosen this path, and of why it's important for me to shut up with the complaining and work to learn as much as I can. I've been blessed beyond all belief; thus, my vocation for the rest of my life will be to be a blessing to others by the grace of God. Maybe, just maybe, it's time for me to stop being a wallflower and start making a difference.

On a not-totally-unrelated note, I also found an article that some people might find interesting. Take a second to check it out.

Peace and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment