Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Mad as a hatter...

Those among you who are medical students or physicians may recognize the title as being part of an old mnemonic for an atropine overdose -- i.e. a muscarinic antagonist overload. Color me overloaded. (Well, no, not really, but I am nuts...just ask anyone.) Anyhow, in the last three days we've covered basic pharmacokinetics (including handfuls of equations and instruction on how to design a dosing regimen) and all things (ok, maybe not all per se) cholinergic. Muscarinic, nicotinic, ACh, AChE, succinylcholine, rocuronium, organophosphate toxicity, sugammadex activity, agonists, antagonists, etc. Tomorrow we deal with cholinergic activity in the eye, then we have another conference (this one on, shockingly, cholinergic activity), and we finish off the new material in pharm with a simulation session. It's all very exciting. (I told you already, I'm crazy.) Then, of course, the test is Saturday, and even my nerdy self can't find much enthusiasm about that. Oh well. Anyhow, I should probably cap this here and get going, as there are still muscarinic antagonists to learn, mechanisms of neuromuscular blockading drugs to wrap my mind around, and...oh, yeah, dinners to eat. Hm, should probably get on that.

Oh, and if any of you are just DYING for the rest of the mnemonic:
"Red as a beet, dry as a bone, blind as a bat, mad as a hatter." Ask any med student (who's had pharm) or physician; they can explain it to you...although I can't for the life of me understand why you'd want to know.

Peace and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment