Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Living Life

Two quick thoughts about psych before heading off to bed for the night.  First, as much as I hate it, it really forces me to count my blessings and realize how good my life really is.  I've been seeing a lot of depressed patients recently, and I'm realizing that they generally have very good reasons for being depressed; many of their stories are heartbreaking.  I should really never complain about anything again ever...what little trials I have to deal with, what minor crosses I have to bear, are completely insignificant compared to the true suffering some of these people endure.

Second, and more positively, psych is not a super time intensive rotation.  So tonight I was able to take a couple of hours and get together with some classmates I haven't seen in a while, to just chat and catch up and do the kinds of things that normal people do.  Remember when as kids it was the most boring thing in the world to sit at the table while the grown-ups talked?  Now I understand the attraction.  When you're just chatting with a group of great people (particularly when sitting around a table of delicious food), there's not much else that needs to be happening to make it a great time.  We've known each other for only 2 1/2 years, but it feels like we've been friends all our lives.

So yeah, I guess the point of tonight's post is what the title says.  One of my favorite quotes of all time is from Gandalf in The Fellowship of the Ring: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."  On a day to day level, I think that means helping the people we can, counting our blessings, and taking advantage of the opportunities for good times with friends and family.  To live life means to see the grace given to us in each new day and to make the most of it -- work, play, and (most importantly), pray.

That's all for me tonight...time for sleep.  Hope everyone's doing well; till next time, peace and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment