Thursday, January 20, 2011

American heroes

Yeesh. So much for New Year's resolutions. Internal medicine isn't particularly a good rotation for trying to post frequently. One quick thought before I head to bed, though...I'm working up at the VA this month and it has been a very interesting experience. The vets, as you might guess, are a pretty variable group...some are polite, some are not. Some are willing to work their tails off to get better, some are not. Some are the sweetest, most amazing people you could ever hope to meet and others are crusty, tough old codgers. But boy, what an honor it has been taking care of them. I've had multiple patients who served in World War II...can you even imagine? Guys who fought Rommel in North Africa, who served with Patton in Europe, participated in the invasion of Italy...just unbelievable. I've talked with countless Vietnam vets who were derided for serving their country...I hope I'm able to express to them, even a little bit, the enormous debt of gratitude we owe them for their service. I've met younger guys who fought in the Gulf War or in Afghanistan. What do you even say to them? How can you possibly thank them enough for what they've done, what they continue to do? I've met guys who have received multiple Purple Hearts, who have earned medals for their gallantry in combat. And yet almost to a man if you tell them that they're heroes they'll laugh at you. "I did my job," they say. It's never been more of an honor to do mine.

Anyway, that's all for tonight. Don't know when I'll next have time to post; hopefully before too long. Till then, peace and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment